Saturday, December 08, 2012

PASTOR...!!!

I know u quickly want to know which 'pastor be dat sef?' but slow down, the title was just to catch your attention. I am not one to shy away from lending a voice to interesting issues, not with the kind of mind i have. Thus, when i began to read about the arguments for and against our ministers' (both political and spiritual) new preference to now hold services in the sky, I felt it would be a sore evil not to add my voice to the roars of dissenting voices.

For those of you who know me well, I am a good critic and for those who are familiar with my write-ups, you'ld agree that I am not one to easily take sides. I prefer to stand (not sit) and present my points, which most times is a combination of supporting and opposing views. You can thus say that i talk with both sides of my mouth (or write with both hands). That is why today, I'll neither support nor oppose. I'll just speak as the spirit leads. After all, it's a spiritual issue!

Personally, I would be uncomfortable in a church congregation whose shephard's suit is torn. I believe, that every pastor, should have and enjoy not just the basic, but also the good things of life. Thus, I see nothing wrong if my pastor lives in a well furnished apartment, drive fleet of cars and kills a cow everyday. Afterall, Christ promised us prosperity, i see no reason why he should be excluded.

But again, in my opinion, the lifestyle of a leader should reflect the average lifestyle of his followers. Anyting contrary to this would definitely attract criticisms (from me). This is the problem the Nigerian people have with their leaders - the president plans to eat with a billion naira when 70% of his citizens can hardly afford three miserable 'triangular' meals.

Basically, like our politicians, our pastors have lost it. I am not a good bible student but I remember reading that when Christianity started, the early Christians related with each other as with blood brethrens. Some of them would (as led by the spirit), sell their properties and sell the proceeds among the brethren according to their needs. But these day...

I remember an event that occured in my church in benin last year. It was our annual thanksgiving and the harvest that day was bountiful- yams, rice, garri etc. I was in charge of moving them from the altar to the store room. It was really bountiful. I was so impressed with what i saw and worked with so much enthusiasm. Being a student then, i was in a tight corner and needed rescue- a tuber of yam would have done a lot. I waited till the end of the service and nothing happened. I thought it was a mistake so I (quite unusually) attended the mid-week service. Immediately i entered the church, i headed straight to the store room only to discover that it was empty. When i inquired about the yams, i was told that it was none of my business...

That is what our churches have turned into. The church build schools but its members cannot attend; Build hospitals where consultation alone is 5k and on a rainy day, your pastor can speed past you and splash some mud on the only white shirt you have. And then they threaten us with the quote that if we complain, we are touching God's anointed. Sometimes I wonder...

Every sunday, I am bombarded with Malachi 3:10 and luke 6:23. I am also told that God would use someone to meet my needs- a helper. But then i ask, is it a crime if God uses the church to meet my material needs...? I believe that all the tithes and offering is not for the pastor's alone but for the Church's welfare.

More disturbing is the way our spiritual leaders fraternize and compete with these corrupt politicians with their flamboyant lifestyle. In church today, a guest minister was telling us how a 'governor' invited him. He went there, passed a nite (may be more) and even used the magnificient toilet where he spent 30 mins searching for how to flush. Then I began to think- If i were to need him, would he not direct me to come to his office and see his secretary? Even if he responded, would he sit on my 'wooden' couch? Would he even dare use my pit latrine?- I guess not!

Let us come to the conclusion of the whole matter. There is nothing wrong if our ministers feel that the sky is now the best place to hold services, only that they should ensure that 50% of their members can attend such services...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...