Thursday, June 13, 2013

My first 'corporate' interview


I attended my first post graduate interview yesterday and it was ...phew! I purposely incorporated the word 'corporate' in the title because it was not actually my first interview. I've had other interviews for teaching, sales boy, 'Danfo' driving etc but this was the first major sensible one with prospects of a good pay. As usual, I would not pass on a good opportunity to learn something new cos for me, each encounter and event is an opportunity to learn and become better. Now I don't want to be selfish in this case cos I know most of us are job hunting. So i'll reveal my experience and the lessons learnt.

The interview was for a bank job (Name withheld for security reasons) and it was conducted at their headquarters in Victoria Island, lagos. Now if you are going for an interview in a corporate
firm, dress real properly - lesson no one. As suggested by the interviewers, use a white or blue shirt with a nice tie and if you have a jacket(suit), put it on. I actually went with an unironed ash shirt - 1st ghagaun for me.. I hoped it was overlooked 'sha'. Please also get a good leather shoe. I was so ashamed of my shoe that I had to keep hiding it under the table. I wonder why my wordrobe is so awkward!

The interview started on a lively and friendly note and although I was nervous, which I hear is normal, I was suprisied that I was still able to compose myself. Kudos to me (lol...). Another thing I learnt is that most times, those interview seminars we attend and tips we get.are actually a waste of time if you dont start inculcating them into your character before any interview, cos when the chips are down, those pretentious tips you learnt would fly away and your real character would show. Some interviewers actually know how to reveal the real you. I discovered that I started well, used some of the tips at the beginning like how to close the door, requesting for a seat, etc but as the interview got tensed, I started to say 'yea' sometimes instead of 'yes'. So my advice - if there are courtesies you need to practice in an interview, start practising them in front of your parents and friends now!.

Third lesson - dont lie or make spurious claims on your C.V. You might be asked to defend some of your claims. I was told (Since I claimed to be proficient in the use of microsoft word and excel) to describe how to draw a pie chart on a microsoft word document. Thank God I didn't mess up... I have notice that most people seem to feel that I am not a team player and the interviewer affirmed it although I tried to prove him wrong. I don't know where this idea is coming from. Maybe its from the way I talk. When he tried to prove that I am not a team player, he asked about the people I would not want to work with in a team and i told him I could not work with people who would not play their part in a team. He then said that it shows I'm not a team player. Abeg how do team players behave?

Another thing- have interesting hobbies. The interviewer seemed to be interested in the fact that I am a creative artist and he even opened, read my blog (I mean this one) and showed it to anyone who entered his office during the time of the interview. He was fascinated about it. There is one area I messed up very badly though and I'm still calculating the implication - I forgot about my project. I cant say if it was tension or the devil but I couldn't say more than a thing when asked to state three things about my project findings. Imagine! and if there is anything I have always been proud of, it is my project work. More painful was the fact that I started remembering them one by one after the interview while I was on my way home. If I had answered that question fluently, I believe I would have nailed the job!

Don't be too assertive. I was asked to define communication and stated that it was the exchange of information between two parties. One of the interviewers told me the word 'exchange was wrong and I argued back and forth with him until I remembered that I was actually being interviewed. I dont know why I have this stubborn 'I no go gree attitude'. God help me.

Lastly, how do you answer the question of 'where do you hope to be in the next five years?' I tried playing smart but 'them no gree'. I told them that I hoped to be contributing to organisational goals at a higher level. They told me to be specific and I replied that I hope to have gotten two promotions in five years time. What do you think of that answer? Also, what is the best reply to this question?

On a lighter note, It is adviceable not to look too dashing. I guess I was cos they were all accusing me of having multiple girlfriends. One of them was so persistent about the girlfriend stuff. They were all joking though. I don't know if I looked like a guy that would have multiple girlfriends. If you know me very well, what do you think about that assertion?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...