Sunday, January 06, 2013

DON'T GO TO A BEER PARLOUR WHEN YOU'RE FRUSTRATED!

Today's sunday service was something else. I have never seen people so happy... I pride myself as someone that is not easily moved by whatever tactic - words or action. I can even argue with my pastor on any issue if need be. But today, I was overwhelmed by the testimonies of people that I was nearly (nearly...) moved to tears. I didn't cry (as a hard guy), but my eyes where wet. I realised that God has done so much for people that i was moved to praise him; not for myself, but for them. I was happy because they were happy - it is not everyday that you see happy people in Nigeria!

It is true that apart from football, the only thing that can make nigerians forget about their problems is the presence of God or (if God is not present), the place of worship. People danced as if they had no problems. To them, what God had done already was enough to praise him. I was really moved. If you really know me, you will understand the implications of me getting moved.

I discovered as the service moved on that the best place to be inspired is the house of God. A lot of people came with prayer points, but the atmosphere was so praise charged that they forgot about their problems. If you want to relieve yourself of some stress, don't go to a beer parlour, walk into a church... (not anyhow church o)

I also discovered (I know you'll argue) that it is more inspiring to praise God in yoruba than in any other language. I know Nigerians are also sentimental and emotional when it comes to tribal issues, but i'm speaking scientifically. I have attended an Igbo dominated church (when I was in Lagos), and also a niger delta church (benin/delta) while i was in benin. The praise worship in those places were awesome but does not compare to what i feel every sunday in ibadan here - talk about that talking drum and the words of adoration in yoruba language... Before you argue, just know for the records that I'm not yoruba (dont even really like the culture), but the truth must be told...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...