Sunday, January 20, 2013

ADVISE TO INTENDING COUPLES...

I am usually not an outgoing person and so each time i take my time to attend any outing whatsoever, my expectations are unusually high. Thus my rantings here might just be usual or normal to an outgoing person. I attended a wedding yesterday and it was by far the most ... (apologies to the couples) embarrassing wedding (I have not attended much anyway) I have ever attended since my parents 'conceived' me. My experience would surprise you.

The invitation came from the bride who is a fellow corper in my PPA. We (other corpers) decided to
skip the church ritual and storm the reception in grand style which we actually did. When we arrived, we (I, actually) discovered that the chairs were not much and so thought that maybe only a few friends were invited. To my surprise, people started trouping in, well dressed, but there were no chairs. We, male corpers (as handsome gentlemen) had to stand up for our females and other older people that began to arrive (as yoruba culture demands). It got to the stage were guests (with their beautiful attire), started to sit on the floor (grass actually) when they tired out from standing. It was so embarrassing.

As if that was not enough, after standing for some hours - under the sun, and sweating furiously (beneath my groin), I expected to be consoled with a beautiful meal, but what did i get...?! As regards the issue of food, there were two levels of disappointment - an initial disappointment, and a final smack down!
The initial disappointment was that they started serving 'amala', a popular yoruba dish that is totally irritating to me. When I saw the dish, I knew I was in for trouble - hunger! Well, at least, my fellow corp members would eat (so i thought) but what happened next broke my back bone. It was indeed a smack down! I dont know if it is normal in yoruba parties but some guest were entertained in the name of the grooms father while the rest of us were told to wait for the bride's people to 'feed us' as we were actually invited by them. Such embarrassment! We were indirectly, treated like gate crashers.

We left the place tired, hungry, and of course, angry! I wanted to complain to the groom when he came by but when I saw that he wasn't smiling, I stepped back. He must have been worrying about the money he spent - I 'laff' in yoruba; how much?

Now for intending couples that plan to invite me to their wedding, here's some advice:

1. It is not actually compulsory to host a big wedding party when there's no cash. A small event with a few family and friends would achieve the same goal and still leave your pocket in good health!

2. A small event is still not even compulsory. You can decide to just go to the registry!

3. If you feel that the registry would be stressful, i'm happy to inform you that its not compulsory too. An engagement would do.

4. If you still can't manage an engagement, no problem. Just get her pregnant and she automatically becomes your wife. Even her parents have no option. I am actually even considering this option!

Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...